Puducherry State Skill Development Mission was constituted though Government Order, with the aim of offering job related skills to unskilled persons, increasing the skill level proficiency of those who are already skilled/ semi-skilled workers and offering equivalency of skills to those workers who have built their skill proficiency through work experience (Recognition of Prior Learning - RPL).
The Puducherry State Skill Development Mission has the Chief Minister of Puducherry as the chairperson. This mission has got control over more than 13 Departments in the Government of Puducherry, oversees the implementation of around 128 training programmes at annual outlay of Rs.4.39 crore.
This mission monitors the skill development training programmes organized by various Departments in the Government of Puducherry, scrutinizes the syllabi for such programmes and approves courses having acceptability. The yardsticks for acceptability of a course are its employment potential, future scope, certifying authority and compliance with National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF)/ Prime Minister's Kaushal Vikas Yojna (PMKVY).
Labour Department was designated as the nodal Department to monitor and streamline the training programmes offered by the following Departments/Agencies/Institutes:
- Department of Fisheries and Fishermen Welfare
- Puducherry Institute of Cooperative Management
- District Industries Centre
- Directorate of School Education
- Department of animal husbandry and animal welfare and RIVER
- Perunthalaivar Kamarajar Krish Vigyan Kendra
- Motilal Nehru Government Polytechnic College
- Puducherry Backward Classes and Minorities Development Corporation
- Dept. of Cooperative
- Adi-Dravidar Welfare Department
- Puducherry eGovernance Society
- Puducherry Adi-dravidar Development COrproration - PADCO